Friday, September 17, 2010

Light Bites - Bacon Macaroni



I humbly apologize to my fellow Light Bites bloggers, I completely forgot to blog this recipe. Last week I went on a cooking/freezing escapade and I actually pre-blogged a bunch of the recipes for the group, except on Thursday all hell broke lose with our business and I didn't get around to uploading this recipe. I was a bit cheap with this recipe and I didn't use real bacon, I am in the process of using up everything in our cupboards and decreasing my grocery bill. I also did not like this recipe. I know Amanda found this recipe to be very heavy. I just didn't find it cheesy enough.


Ingredients
from Cooking Light
3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
12 ounces strozzapreti or penne pasta
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
Cooking spray

Directions1. Preheat broiler.
2. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
3. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155°. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper, and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I had heard so many good things about this recipe - such a disappointed that we didn't like it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you said you didn't like this recipe - I'm just curious - how much is 12 oz of pasta in cups (I'm assuming 12 oz of weight measure rather than 12 oz of liquid measure?). I asked Alex for kitchen scales for Christmas (I KNOW, it's way too early) because I run into this problem a lot! I also have a bunch of British and Australian cookbooks that work in weight measure, not dry measure, so I haven't been able to make a lot from them, especially the baking!

    ReplyDelete