Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pumpkin and Red Lentil Curry

Courtesy of Bright Idea Photo

I have fallen in love with the Cooking Light site, it has such a wealth of recipes!  I needed a recipe to use up the leftover pumpkin from the pilau.  I originally wanted to puree the pumpkin but time got away from me and today the pumpkin began to scream from the fridge to be used up.  I found this recipe and I love that it had lentils in it because I am trying to find more recipes without meat but high in protein.  Mike and I loved it and the girls...well they are distracted by the mounds of candy they will recieve tonight.  I even tried to entice them by telling them that they needed to eat the magic pumpkin before 'trick or treating'...no dice but Ally did like the broth.

Ingredients
adapted from Cooking Light

1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
5 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled fresh pumpkin (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup dried small red lentils
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 lime wedges

Directions

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pumpkin and next 7 ingredients (through jalapeño); cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender. Stir in lentils; cook 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in salt and black pepper. Ladle stew into individual bowls; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

1 comment:

  1. What a delicious way to use pumpkin. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete