Saturday, January 29, 2011

Light Bites - Beef and Beer Chili

I took some great pictures...but for some reason the pictures were corrupt.  Grrr....

Yeah for another Light Bites recipe.  Come and join us, we need more people!

Anyways, this was a delicious chili, I loved the addition of cumin!  I made some pretty big changes and I think it made it healthier.  I used ground turkey, liquid sugar twin and well...I didn't use any beer.  I am cheap and I didn't want to buy one bottle of beer for a meal and also I thought the chances of my kids eating the meal with the beer taste was slim to none.  They barely ate it as it was.  I found this chili to be more soupy than I normally like but the flavour was great.  I highly reccomend it.

Ingredients
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 1/2 cups chopped red onion (about 1 medium)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 small)
8 ounces extralean ground beef - I used turkey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sugar - I used liquid sugar twin
1/2 teaspoon salt - I rarely add salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (19-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer (such as Budweiser)
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Directions

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in chili powder, cumin, sugar, and salt; cook 1 minute. Add oregano and next 4 ingredients (through beer) to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cornmeal; cook 5 minutes. Stir in juice.

1 comment:

  1. A person can never have too many chili recipes! I am loving the sounds of this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete