Monday, October 25, 2010

Light Bites - Potato Kale Soup

Courtesy of Bright Idea Photo

This is not an official Light Bites Group Recipe but it has been sitting in my drafts for awhile now so I thought I would upload it.
My sister-in-law loves to garden and grows a wonderful garden every year. I don't get many of the produce but she did give me some kale. I am starting to really fall in love with kale. I also really love soup. I think I could be happy to eat soup every day and maybe for every meal. Unfortunately or fortunately for me no one else likes soup as much as I do. I love to make a big pot of soup and when I do I think of my Great-Grandma Rose, she had a great gift of making wonderful soups out of leftovers. I didn't add any cheese to this because my intention was to freeze most of it right away.

Ingredients
adapted from Cooking Light



2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
7 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
4 cups coarsely chopped peeled Yukon gold potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
6 cups chopped fresh kale (about 3/4 pound)
1 teaspoon dried basil
9 tablespoons (about 2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese

Directions

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, potato, salt, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
Stir in kale and basil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Discard bay leaf. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher until thick and chunky. Top with cheese
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment