Thursday, February 12, 2009

Apple Yogurt Muffins

I hate Thursdays.  It is near the end of the week and Mike is gone all day and evening, so it is a long day.  After Ally's nap, she was cranky, so was I and the minutes were ticking by so slowly that I decided that we had to do something before I snapped.  Ally is in love with helping in the kitchen.  I can barely do anything in the kitchen before she starts pulling a chair over,"Help Mommy. Help Mommy."  Having her help is great but also a challenge.  So we washed up the dishes and baked.   

I have discovered that muffins are like soup; they use up leftovers.  I had some apples and yogurt that were on their last legs, so I decided to use them up in some muffins.  I had found this recipe a couple of days ago and thought it sounded delicious.  

Ingredients:
6 apples
4 cups sifted flour
2 tbsp ground flax

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt
2 cup plain yogurt
2 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tbsp lemon juice

 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Pare and dice apples. 

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a small bowl, stir yogurt until creamy, and then add beaten egg. Add melted butter (or margarine) and grated lemon rind. Pour into flour mixture and stir quickly, just until mixed. 

Gently fold in apples and spoon into greased muffin tins until 2/3 full. Combine sugar with about 2 tsp of cinnamon and sprinkle over unbaked muffins. 

Reduce the oven heat to 375° and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

2 pts

No comments:

Post a Comment