Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kidney - Chickpea Muffins

I have a friend who is due with a little boy in about 2 weeks.  This past weekend I did up a care package for her and I wanted to included some high energy and nutritious muffins.  I found these muffins and adapted them a bit.  I doubled the recipe but didn't have enough kidney beans so I used a can of chickpeas.  These muffins turned out surprisingly well since I messed up in many ways.  After I had put the can of kidney beans in I realized that it was chili flavoured!  Then when I was mixing after putting in the flour I couldn't get the right consistency and I couldn't figure out why until I looked at the recipe and I had done my math wrong and put too much flour in!  So I added more milk and baking powder and they turned out perfectly nice and light.  I also didn't put the icing on top of the muffins but that would have made them even better!  There is a slight bean taste so next time I would put in more vanilla but other  than that I am really impressed especially for so many things going wrong.



INGREDIENTS

 15 ounces kidney beans, canned  drained and rinsed

  2 tablespoons skim milk

  2 tablespoons light margarine

  1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

  2 egg whites

  1/2 teaspoon vanilla

  3/4 cup flour

  1/2 teaspoon baking soda 

  1/4 teaspoon salt

  1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

  1 packet instant oatmeal,    packet

  1/2 cup powdered sugar

  1/2 teaspoon vanilla

  1 tablespoon skim milk

 

INSTRUCTIONS

Process beans and milk in food processor until mixture is smooth. Beat margarine, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth in medium bowl; beat in bean mixture. Add flour, baking soda, salt and spice, mixing just until blended.

Spoon mixture into 12 greased muffin cups and sprinkle with packet of favorite instant oatmeal. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes; remove and cool on wire racks.

Mix powdered sugar and vanilla with enough milk to make glaze consistency. Drizzle over muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment