Monday, April 6, 2009

Orange Carrot Muffins

I have really missed making muffins so today instead of wasting the 3 oranges we had left I looked up a recipe.  I didn't realize how much Ally missed baking too, when I woke her up from her nap and asked if she wanted to make muffins she said,"Oh yeah, I love bakings!"  Which is just so cute!  And she has never said she loves something before.  I found this recipe here and I liked it because it used the whole orange and that fit with my goal of using the oranges.  I cut down the eggs and sugar and replaced half the oil with applesauce and added flax.  I was very scared about cutting out the eggs but I didn't have enough to triple the recipe (I had 3 oranges to use and lots of carrots) so I thought, "What the heck?  Let's try it."  So I did and they are delicious!  But....they didn't rise so I will put the eggs back in and if anyone makes these before I do let me know.  The muffins are nice and sweet with a slight bitter taste from the rind.  I will make these again.

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups vegetable oil

1 ¼ cup apples sauce

1 cups granulated sugar

2 eggs

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 tbsp flax

1 tsp  cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 orange

2 cups carrots

 

Directions

1.      Into food processor, chop up enough carrots for 2 cups.

2.      Then: Wash an orange, cut it up and chop in the food processor rind and all. Blend all the ingredients together and place in large muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

3.      Makes 18 large muffins or 24 regular size muffins.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment