Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins

On Canada Day we went to the local farmers market and picked up some rhubarb. I probably paid a pretty penny for it but I really wanted to make some rhubarb muffins and I didn't know anyone who had any. I should plant some next year.... I made these as decorations and gifts to potential buyers while looking at the house. Everyone raved about them! I am not a huge fan of topping because I feel it adds needless calories but I think these muffins need them because it balances the tartness of the rhubarb. I got this recipe from my favorite muffin blog (besides my own of course)


Ingredients
For the muffins:
(2 cups) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup light sour cream
(8 Tbsp.) applesauce
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups 1/4-inch diced fresh rhubarb


For the topping:
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon


Directions
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Lightly stir the sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula until the batter just comes together; do not over mix. Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. The batter will be thick.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups, using the back of a spoon or a small spatula to settle the batter into the cups. The batter should mound a bit higher than the tops of the cups.
Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle a generous 1/2 tsp. of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over each muffin. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment