Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bread and Butter Pudding



I worked in England many years ago volunteering at one of the four world centers for Girl Guides called Pax Lodge. I had never heard of this dessert and it doesn't sound all that good but until you try it, you will never know what you are missing! I decided to make this because I had some leftover cut-up french bread from New Year's and I thought the girls would like it. Also my dieting husband was gone so I wouldn't tempt him. I loosely followed this recipe. I didn't know how much bread I had and how it equated to slices to I just winged it.

Ingredients

Bread that is going stale use about 8 slices
300 ml of milk (this is just over a cup)
3-4 tbsp sugar
3 eggs beaten
butter
1 tsp Vanilla

Directions

If you are using chunks like I did throw it in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with raisins and sugar and the more sugar you add the sweeter it will be. Then in small bowl add the milk, eggs and vanilla. Next pour the liquid over top. You want all the bread to get fairly soaked so if need be and more milk and eggs. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. You will know this is done by the color and it will be puffed up.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I am currently a volunteer at Pax Lodge and have become a huge fan of the Bread and Butter pudding. I have to say I also love the sticky toffee pudding. When did you volunteer at Pax Lodge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I volunteered there in 2001 and 2002. Heather might still remember me. Oh! The sticky toffee pudding....I would love a recipe if you can. Do they still make banoffi (sp?) pie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series. A bit out of my league, but I’m learning stuff each step of the way...

    ReplyDelete