Friday, October 1, 2010

Light Bites - Chicken with cider and bacon sauce



This doesn't really photograph well but it was delicious! I made this when my friend was over with her three kids and everybody loved it! I had a heck of a time finding unsweetened apple cider so after reading the reviews I decided that it couldn't hurt too much just to use the powdered stuff. It didn't hurt at all and maybe the extra sugar made it even better. I did leave the chicken in when I was making the sauce and I think that really helped give the chicken even more flavour.

Ingredients
adapted from Cooking Light

4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 bacon slices, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh onion
3/4 cup unsweetened apple cider
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

Directions
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Add cider and broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until broth mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Stir in cooked bacon; serve sauce over chicken.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had left the chicken in while I reduced the sauce - I bet that was so good! Next time I will! Looks great, glad you guys enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete