Friday, January 14, 2011

Light Bites - Falafel Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Dressing



I love the Light Bites group because it forces me to cook and put things on my blog amidst the chaos in my life.  This week's pick was mine!  I don't know why I picked it but I am so glad that I did!  It was incredibly easy and nutritious.  The girls didn't eat it but they don't eat anything that isn't macaroni or peanut butter these days.  I am excited for the left overs.  If you are wondering why my falafel isn't inside the pita well....because I buy them from Costco and freeze them four at a time.  The reason I am sharing this with you is because I discovered a new way to thaw the pitas so that they are soft.  I used to throw them in the microwave and they would be hard, dry and just break.  I have recently gotten a steamer and I am slowly learning how to steam.  So I threw the pitas in the steamer and they came out almost perfect, soft and warm.  They would have been perfect if I could have opened them.

Ingredients
adapted from Cooking Light

1/4 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (1-ounce) slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces (I used bread crumbs)
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, split
1/2 cup Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing

Directions
Combine first 10 ingredients in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until well blended (mixture will be wet).
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon about 1/3 cup chickpea mixture per patty into pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Line each pita half with 1/4 cup arugula, add 1 patty to each pita half, and spoon 2 tablespoons Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing into each pita half.


Cucumber Yogurt Dressing

Ingredients
adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/2 cup diced seedless cucumber
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice


Directions
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you enjoyed these - I have a steamer and its close to my favorite small appliance! Your picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete