Thursday, May 7, 2009

Banana Crumble Muffins.

I have been intimidated by crumble toppings.  I have purposely stayed away or excluded the crumble from the recipe because it seemed hard or too messy.  Today I decided to just do it and make the crumble topping.  I found this recipe here.  The muffins are delicious nice and light.  I like like muffins because it hides how high in calories they are.  I added some flax to the recipe to make it healthier but I didn't use my applesauce trick this time.  I chose not to because I was a little worried that they would taste similar to the ones I made the other day.  I enjoyed the crumble but it does add more calories and I am a bit concerned with calories these days, so I think in the future I would skip it.
  




INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 (really over-ripe) bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg,
lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar

2 tbsp ground flax
For the topping:
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
In a large bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, vanilla, egg and melted butter.  Then mix in 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment